Pool Shock Treatments: Which One Not to Use

Pool Shock Treatments: Which One Not to Use

Pools that are inviting for a dip look clean and clear because of regular swimming pool shock treatments. This process is an indispensable way of maintaining swimming pools and keeping them free from dangerous contaminants, waste products (yup, people do pee in pools), leftover chlorine, and other sickness-inducing viruses and bacteria that lurk in the water and its tiles beneath. In fact, the frequency of a swimming venue’s pool shock treatments provides a good look as to the quality of their system. Once a week is the practice of those who know how to maintain their pools well but doing so after a storm, more swimmers, and extreme heat is a must.

One of the most telltale signs of a pool in need of some shock is the presence of cloudiness. In general, a good pool with quality and really clean water has its tiles beneath seen by bystanders without any problems. However, don’t let it fool you as many reasons add up as to why water becomes cloudy such as defective infiltration system, faulty drainage, to name a few.

As a swimming pool owner, what can you do to keep your pool perfect for refreshing quick dips?
First of all, know that not all treatments are created equal. There are good ways to do so such as the use of monopersulfate, a type of oxygen-based shock that eradicates chlorine. When it comes to shocks, oxygen-based ones reign supreme as these are so safe that swimming aficionados can immediately jump back after a few minutes after doing so. The use of a non-chlorine oxidizer such as potassium monopersulfate is also safe as these are oxygen-based.

But of course, there are also treatments that should be avoided at all costs. They are as follows:

1. Sodium hypochlorite

This type is a very strong type of bleach. It immediately cleans the pool upon contact and with a 90 day shelf life. This can cause serious burns especially if a person jumps in the pool too early.

2. Calcium hypochlorite

This chlorine-based cleaner is the most common and is available in several concentrations ranging from a low 47 percent to as high as 78 percent in every use. It is so toxic that it has to be dissolved prior to use or else it may stain and dissolve the lining of a pool.

Its low percent concentration of 47 percent is advised to be ineffective and cannot really clean a pool. It is widely available at very cheap prices but truthfully does not do any good when used in cleaning.

At the end of the day, it is best to stay clear of chlorine-based chemicals and stick to wholesome means to ensure not just the quality of the pool in the long run, but the health and safety of swimmers in general.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Shares
Share This